Thursday, February 19, 2009 | |

Want a change?

Wow its been been really long since my last post. I think it would be really hard for me to summarise what has gone through since the last time I posted. So what I'll do this I skip all of that with a small apology. How easy it is to apologize? Isn't it? Nevertheless, I really for sorry for not writing for such a long time, and I'll try and avoid these unavoidable breaks. I think I have made enough apologies and its time I put the blame on someone. After all isn't that an easier way to prove yourself innocent? I think I could blame the entire world and come up with reasons for not writing. But what I have realised is that at the root, the fault will lie within me. So I'll take the blame on me and endeavour to be more regular.

Well let me see. How often have I put the blame on others though? If I hear news about women getting beaten up on TV? I say: Why isn't the government doing something about the perpetrators of the crime? If I see dirty streets? I say: Why isn't the municipality cleaning up the trash. The list could go on and on. I seem to have tacitly agreed that the government is incompetent and that there's nothing that can be done about it. But have I cared to change that? Have I even taken part in electing the government? Have I voted? No. Then what gives me the right to question the government? Why should a government act according to me when I haven't exercised my power to elect the government? What I deserve is what I get. I deserve anything that the government imposes on me because by non-participation I have agreed to any ruling body and any rule that it might impose on me.

But I don't want that to happen to me again. I want to participate. I want to elect my government. I want to vote. I will vote. But does that mean that I get to question every move the government makes? More importantly will the party, at the helm, be obliged to answer every question that I ask? Ofcourse not. Then what do I get out of voting? And in such a large country with this huge a population, will my vote make a difference? Allow me to reason with each question at a time.

What do I get out of voting?
I increase the chances of electing a government whom I think will bring about a change for the better. If it does not happen the way I expect, the next time the elections come, I will not vote for that party thereby reducing the chances of that party coming to power again. So, to get re-elected the ruling party would need to fulfil its promises. It becomes accountable and obligated.

Will a single vote make a difference in this huge a democracy?
In December '08, in the Rajasthan state elections, Congress candidate, C P Joshi lost out on one vote. Yes one vote! He was the chief ministerial candidate for Congress in that state. Congress did come to power but with Ashok Gehlot as its chief minsiter and not C P Joshi. Need I say more.

I need to vote. I have to vote. I am on my way to bring about a change. Please join in!

3 comments:

Yusuf Pasha said...

If you feel no one deserves to be voted you can still go to election booth and exercise "Section 49-O of the Constitution "
If number of people in a booth who have exercised this option outnumbers the maximum vote for a candidate,but the candidature of the contestants will be removed and they cannot contest the re-polling

jai Hind!

Yusuf Pasha said...

If you feel no one deserves to be voted you can still go to election booth and exercise "Section 49-O of the Constitution "
If number of people in a booth who have exercised this option outnumbers the maximum vote for a candidate,the candidature of the contestants will be removed and they cannot contest the re-polling

jai Hind!

Aashish Gupta said...

Visit jaagore.com .. We still have time i guess.